History of the romantic Hotel Es Moli in Deia, Majorca
The first 500 years of Es Moli in Deia (Majorca)
Joan Masroig, acquired in April 1459 the farmhouse Es Molí near Deiá, a poor village on the West coast of the Island of Majorca, with difficult access.
In 1695 Es Molí was the fifth biggest property in Deiá. But Deiá continued to be a poor village and even owners of small estates took on work as labourers during the growing season.
In 1835 Es Molí became the most important asset of the municipality and comprised of two big estates, Es Molí and Son Rullan des Molí, three little plots of land El Pujol, Can Borràs and Can Maneu, four rustic houses, two town houses, three “almazaras” (old olive press) and a flour mill, a total of nearly half a million square metres of land.
The death of the Head of the Family, Don Joan Baptista Masroig des Molí i Sampol, in 1874, saw the beginning of a period of decline in this grand family. The estate began to be broken up by bequests.
In 1933 a Majorcan, resident in France acquired the estate with its “Finca” and gardens which was still an extraordinary property in a wonderful landscape. But this was not the time for new beginnings. Only three years later, in 1936, the Civil War began. After the end of the War Es Molí became an electricity generating station, lateron the building was used as hostel.
At that time, the West coast between Andraitx, Deiá and Sóller, with its unique landscape, was unknown territory.
The hotel Es Molí, already with its private cove, was totally different to the big beach hotels which were constructed during the “tourism boom” in the 1960s.
And then in the 1990s, millions of people got to know ‘this noble paradise between the mountains and the sea’ overnight. It was known as such thanks to the German television channel ZDF showing the series “Hotel Paradies”, filmed mostly in Es Moli.
Now, in 2013, after more than half a millennium, we are looking at this magnificent estate, with its Hotel, Restaurant Ca’n Quet and the lavish gardens. And the future of this haven of peace and tranquillity is still to be discovered …